House, California , District #16
635 North First Street, Suite B
San Jose, California 95112
Home Town: San Mateo, CA
Committees: Homeland Security, Judiciary, House Administration
- Born on December 21, 1947 in San Mateo, California.
- Married to John Marshall Collins in 1978; mother of two children.
- K-12 public schools, Palo Alto, California.
- B.A., Political Science, Stanford University, 1970.
- J.D., cum laude, University of Santa Clara School of Law, 1975.
- Served as Staff Assistant to her predecessor, Congressman Don Edwards, 1970-1978. Worked on impeachment proceedings, the Equal Rights Amendment, and creation of the Don Edwards National Wildlife Refuge in the South San Francisco Bay.
- Practiced immigration law as a partner in the firm of Webber & Lofgren, 1978-1980.
- Taught immigration law at University of Santa Clara School of Law, 1981-1994.
- Served on Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors, 1981-1994.
- First Executive Director of Community Housing Developers, a non-profit community-based housing developer, San Jose, 1978.
- Elected to Board of Trustees of San Jose-Evergreen Community College District Board, 1979.
- Elected in 1994 as only freshman Democrat from west of the Rocky Mountains.
- Serves on Committee on Homeland Security:
- Subcommittee on Intelligence, Information Sharing, and Terrorism Risk Assessment, Ranking Minority Member
- Subcommittee on Economic Security, Infrastructure Protection, and Cybersecurity
- Subcommittee on Management, Integration, and Oversight
- Serves on Committee on the Judiciary:
- Subcommittee on Courts, the Internet, and Intellectual Property
- Subcommittee on Immigration, Border Security, and Claims
- Serves on Committee on House Administration:
Key Legislative Initiatives
- Introduced legislation to accelerate the development of fusion as a long-term energy source, which was included in the comprehensive House energy bill (H.R. 4).
- Successfully fought to initiate the "e-rate" that provides affordable Internet access for schools, libraries, and rural health centers.
- Served as Democratic floor manager for the 21st Century Patent Improvement Act.
- Initiated the SAFE Act to ease export control on encryption.
Honors and Awards
- BAYMEC Award, September 2002.
- TechNet Founder's Circle Award, May 2000.
- Janet Gray Hayes Award for Outstanding Community Service, April 1999, San Jose City College.
- Named "Cyber Champion" by Business Software Alliance.
- Named "Congressional Leader" by Semiconductor Industry Association and presented with the Congressional Leadership Award in 1998.
- Dubbed "Leader of the Pack" on high-tech issues by C/Net News.com.
- 1998 Legislator of the Year, Vietnamese American Chamber of Commerce, Santa Clara Valley.
- Named one of Top 10 high-tech supporters in Congress by Tech Law Journal.
- Legislative Achievement Award, National Association of Counties, 1997.
- PHP Valley of Hearts Award for Community Service.
- Edwin J. Owens Lawyer of the Year Award, Santa Clara University, 1995.
- Cal Cleaver Award for Outstanding Achievement on Behalf of Families of the Santa Clara Valley, November 1995.
- 1994 Woman of Achievement by the San Jose Mercury News and The Women' Fund.
- President's Award for Achievement, Santa Clara Traffic Authority, 1993.
- Community Service Award, Boys and Girls Club of Santa Clara County, 1992.
- 1980 Feminist of the Year, San Jose South Bay NOW.